I'm in the market for a new phone and saw the Eternity for only $20 on amazon.com. An active forum like this must indicate that you folks like the phone. I am wondering if the Eternity will be a good phone for me. I know that different people have different uses for their phones.
I travel a lot and, aside from using the phone as a telephone, I am mostly interested in using the Eternity for casual e-mail and web browsing when I am away from home. I've read reviews saying that web browsing is good on the Eternity, but e-mail is questionable. I use Google GMail for e-mail when I am traveling. Here are a few questions:
How well does GMail work on the Eternity, either from the web browser or from the Java client?
Can I read e-mail in landscape mode?
Can I compose e-mails using the QWERTY touch keyboard?
Can I take photos with the Eternity camera and attach them to new e-mail messages?
Can I view photos in e-mails that other people send me?
Can I click on http links in e-mails and view them in a WWW browser, or at least cut-and-paste links to a web browser?
Is there any notification of new unread e-mail?
Does the GMail reader at least auto-refresh if new e-mail arrives while the app is running?
Are any of you heavy GMail users very satisfied or at least not very frustrated with the Eternity?
I know the iphone and Blackberry and Android phones have very good e-mail support, but I am considering the Eternity because of the cheap purchase price and $15 unlimited data plan on the Eternity. I am not planning to buy any of the add-on services other than the data plan.
Thanks in advance.
I'm going to try and answer these questions 1 at a time for you....
1) No landscape mode for reading.
2) Yes the QWERTY is fully enabled for just about everything
3) I have not found an app that has ANY attachment support for any emails. (Sore subject for me)
4) Yes there is full HTTP support either thru ATT's MediaNET browser or thru OPERA mini browser.
5) The standard email app does have new email notification, but it is hit-or-miss as far as it is not a TRUE PUSH notification. (More hit than miss). You can use FLURRY mail which sends you a txt for every new email (I use that one. It is free, but you should get unlimited txt plan)
6) Just use the REFRESH button, no auto refresh as far as I know
7) I like the phone an awful lot. I rate it an 8 out of 10. My biggest sore point is that attachment support sucks. I have posted about it in other threads here.
if I mis-answered anything guys, then please enlighten me! Overall, very happy and satisfied with the phone. Remember, it is NOT a smartphone. it will not have a lot of the same features that a Blackberry, etc, has. if the photo attachments are a breaking point, this may not be the right phone for you right now. I have faith someone will write a better email app that provides attachment support. Until then, just MMS the picture using the email address as the contact.